A Substantial Retailer
Sears and Kmart continue to be two of the country’s most iconic retailers with hundreds of stores millions of Americans shop, work at and rely upon every day – making our Company a mainstay on the Fortune 500 list for 22 years and counting. We are present in thousands of communities across the country and sell some of the most trusted and preferred brands in the U.S. – including Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard.
In addition, Sears Home Services remains the nation’s largest product repair services provider with operations across all 50 states and our service technicians are welcomed into homes seven million times a year. Our Sears Auto Center business remains a leading provider of automotive maintenance and repair services and parts, with more than 600 locations nationwide.
Our Shop Your Way platform has tens of millions of Members actively engaging with us both in-store and online, as well as a rapidly expanding partnership network of thousands – most recently including:
- The launch of the new Sears MasterCard with Citi, which allows Members to earn Shop Your Way points everywhere;
- The rider rewards partnership with Uber Technologies, currently in 25 major markets; and
- The integration of Shop Your Way into the Activehours mobile application, enabling Members to access their paychecks on demand.
Our Broader Contribution
We are privileged to offer valuable services, products and solutions, which in many cases have helped us to build lifetime relationships with our members, and our contributions extend well beyond what we offer in our stores and digital platforms.
As one of the nation’s largest and longest standing retailers, Sears Holdings has been a major employer in the U.S. for decades. Today we employ approximately 140,000 associates, while continuing to honor the service of former employees through our ongoing commitment to meet our obligations under the Sears pension plans. In fact, over the last 12 years, we have contributed nearly $4.0 billion to the plans, representing a notable portion of our annual cash use.
We also appreciate the importance of contributing back more broadly to our communities and are proud to have contributed approximately $9 billion through taxes paid, collected and remitted over the last five years. In addition, our focused community engagement efforts support organizations that directly assist individuals and communities who face adversity and courageously overcome challenges:
- Sears created the Heroes at Home program, which has raised more than $21 million over the past decade, providing more than 41,500 volunteers, and with Rebuilding Together has helped make critical home repairs and modifications for more than 1,600 homes of America’s veterans in need;
- Since World War I, companies within Sears Holdings have been proud supporters of America’s military and those who have served – in 2016, Sears Holdings hired more than 5,200 veterans and military spouses, many of whom are currently serving in the National Guard and Reserve forces;
- Over the past 10 years, Kmart has been recognized as one of St. Jude Research Hospital’s top corporate contributors, raising $12.9 million in 2016 and more than $100 million since 2006 – more than any other company during that time; and
- Kmart remains the March of Dimes’ longest-standing corporate partner and largest contributor to its mission, having raised more than $140 million in the past 33 years.
We remain a proud company working hard toward the success of our business and to improve the lives of the communities we serve.