The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized Sears Holdings with the 2015 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award for its continued leadership in protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency achievements. This year marks the sixth consecutive year that SHC has been awarded the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition in retail and the third consecutive year to achieve both Partner of the Year in energy management and the distinguished Sustained Excellence award in retail. Our longstanding efforts exemplify an ongoing commitment to leverage our integrated retail capabilities for maximum energy efficiency in the marketplace.
Gina McCarthy, EPA Administrator, stated, “Through their sustained participation with ENERGY STAR, Sears Holdings is helping Americans save money, save energy, and do their part to reduce our nation’s greenhouse gas emissions that fuel climate change. I applaud Sears Holdings for earning the EPA’s highest ENERGY STAR award, the 2015 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award, demonstrating a strong commitment to energy efficiency and to preserving a healthy planet for future generations.”
Our Chief Supply Chain Officer, Bill Hutchinson added, “We value our partnership with ENERGY STAR and are honored to receive the Partner of the Year Award. Sears Holdings remains committed to continuing our work to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase energy efficiency and protect the environment through our operational excellence, Kenmore product offerings and partnerships with local utilities.”
Our team will be honored in Washington, D.C. on April 20, 2015 for our long-term commitment to energy efficiency. SHC has been partners with ENERGY STAR since 1998. Our accomplishments in 2014 included:
- Energy Savings: SHC continues to have success year-over-year in reducing its energy consumption. In 2014, the company’s total weather normalized source energy usage decreased by nearly 950,000,000 kbtu, a reduction of three percent over last year, and the average weather normalized source energy intensity declined to 122.8 kbtu/sqft, a three percent reduction over 2013. We reduced electricity usage by more than 300 million kWh, an 11 percent savings over the previous year.
- Product Selection: In 2014, SHC introduced new energy-efficient technology for Kenmore® laundry and refrigeration, as well as continued development of the connected appliance/home energy management portfolio that will be introduced in spring 2015. Our Consumer Electronics team expanded their customer awareness of the ENERGY STAR brand through partnerships with Nakamichi, Samsung and various utilities.
- Training: Our team saw enhancements in supplier training sessions for store associates, as well as new online education tools for in-home service technicians and energy audit teams. The Home Appliance associate product training road show was reestablished in 2014, including highlights for ENERGY STAR certification.
- Marketing: We have further enhanced the ENERGY STAR brand presence on our Shop Your Way® platform and expect the opportunities to promote the ENERGY STAR brand through this unique channel will continue to grow. Additionally, we improved ENERGY STAR messaging on the company’s online/mobile websites in an effort to promote consistent branding and ease of search/use for our members and customers.
- Partnership: Our collaborative relationship with our utility partners continues to differentiate us in our effort to reduce energy consumption through the promotion of ENERGY STAR certified products. We optimize these relationships to help drive traffic to our stores, increase success for the programs and add awareness of the ENERGY STAR brand. We leveraged our partnerships to promote ENERGY STAR through our ENERGY STAR and Earth Day Atrium events at our corporate office and Green Leadership Energy Summit.
The 2015 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a variety of organizations to recognize their contributions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions through superior energy efficiency achievements. Click here for a complete list of 2015 winners and more information about ENERGY STAR’s awards program.