Today we reported our results for the third quarter of 2017. One of the accomplishments we were most proud of over the last three months was being able to support the many members and communities affected by hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria thanks to the incredible hard work of our associates and the power of Shop Your Way.
- Before and immediately after each storm, our logistics team at Sears Holdings redirected inventory of critical items to local distribution centers and stores in Florida, Puerto Rico and Texas.
- In parallel, our dedicated associates worked relentlessly to reopen our Kmart and Sears stores as soon as it was safe to do so – this was critically important in areas with limited access to resources after the storms, like the Florida Keys.
- And by leveraging our Shop Your Way platform, we were able to quickly communicate to our members when and where critical rebuilding supplies would be available through store-specific and regional websites.
The combination of these efforts helped to ensure our members and their communities were able to begin rebuilding as soon as possible. For example, in Puerto Rico, as one of the island’s largest retailers with 28 Sears and Kmart stores in operation, we have helped our members gain access to more than 1,300 generators, 27,000 fans, 3,500 flashlights and over 2,400 vaccines. In addition to making crucial products available, we have also provided hands-on relief in the devastated areas.
- Our Shop Your Way team made personal phone calls to hundreds of members to offer support and assistance, where possible.
- In Puerto Rico, we have distributed hundreds of care packages containing food and essential supplies to community centers and children’s homes. We have also established ‘comfort zones’ at all of our open stores to give families a place to sit and rest, charge their phones and other devices, cool down in air conditioning and allow children to play. Members of the Kmart Pharmacy team have also been available at the ‘comfort zones’ to take blood pressure screenings and share information about flu shots and other immunizations.
- In Texas, in the severely impacted area of Port Arthur, we transformed a Sears store parking lot into a staging area, converted an Auto Center location into a field hospital, and distributed 26 pallets of clothing, shoes and bedding to more than 20 Houston-area charities
We wanted to highlight these accomplishments because we are proud of our associates and thankful for the trust our members and their communities place on Sears Holdings, both through the good times and the more difficult ones. The recovery work after these devastating storms will take some time, but we are committed to still being there to provide the products and services our members and their communities need with the value, convenience and loyalty they deserve.
More broadly, while our ability to support thousands in Florida, Puerto Rico and Texas is an important illustration of the power of Shop Your Way, we are honored to similarly engage and serve millions of members nationwide every day. To that end, we are encouraged by the additional 10 million members who joined Shop Your Way over the last 12 months, and remain committed to serving the needs of all our members while building a personal connection with each one of them.